Thursday, June 11, 2009

Edson Wants To Cuddle

Okay, let me be honest, if it would have been Brandon...way back 15 years ago, I may have been uptight by now. I may have lost my patience. I may have reacted. Why the difference? Well, I may have matured a little more, by now. I hope...I think.
The big boys went on a special Father/Son outing to Nu Guazu. They are going to get in some tennis, running, basketball, or whatever. Both Dad and boys were excited.
They left, just minutes after sleepy Edson got up from a nap. Edson wants to cuddle. Mom wants to get on with things. The boys and husband aren't here, there are a million things to do! Cook, read, write, blog...I wasn't planning on just cuddling Edson.
Why doesn't he want to cuddle during church or the prayer meeting! Then I WANT him to be cuddly and quiet.
I try to set him down to read a book and he bawls. I distract him with a snack that he doesn't want. I give him a toy and he throws it. He only wants to cuddle.
I look at the clock. How long will this last?...Why am I hurrying? What's the rush?
Brandon is TOO BIG to cuddle on my lap! He got big tooooooo fast! Brandon doesn't want to cuddle he wants to play basketball! He's gone! He's big.
I kiss Edson's nose, ruffle his hair, rub his back, give him one hug and then another and another until we're both laughing. The clock keeps ticking, but Edson wants to cuddle.
It's okay. I'm fine now. I will cuddle with Edson...we rock back and forth, sing a little song, roll cars up and down my arm. squeeze (cold) hands...

6 comments:

heidiannie said...

Good for you,Karen! You learned your lesson well. It was better for me with Jordan, and Luke was just a little cuddlebug- but I am best at cuddling now that I am a grandma!

liz said...

Awwww, almost makes me want a toddler right now. I'll send some squeezes down to him with Laurel.

a.peg said...

You did the right thing! I still like to cuddle my "babies" when they hold still long enough! (Your work will wait, growing children don't stop growing) Cuddle while you can.

Anonymous said...

Smart Mama you are. Keep it up! Lilly

Anonymous said...

Don't ever pass up the opportunity.
Little boys grow up so fast!
A.Kath

Anonymous said...

I'm finally back to my computer.
You shoul take the time to cuddle him. You know that if this Grandma would be there, he'd get twice as much cuddling, so you should just let him take advantage of that, and give him more.
The house was quiet when the "big boys" all left, and he didn't have anyone else to play with.
Cuddle him for me, too. You can tell him it's from Grandma.