


Honduran people eat Baleadas - flour tortillas filled with beans, scrambled eggs, cheese and sour cream with a cabbage on the side. Mexicans - of course, eat flour tortillas filled with different kinds of meats, rice, beans cheeses, etc. and lots of picante, hot sauce. So, since both grades had flour tortillas on their menu, I decided to make the same thing for both grades. I made 120 HOMEMADE flour tortillas out of 4 kilos (8.81lbs.) of flour. I didn't have a comal or anything, just three frying pans.
On July 4th...we celebrated the US Independance eating a Mexican meal!
Flour Tortillas
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening to resemble cornmeal. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
2. Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
3. Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and roll out into round discs.
4. Cook on top of stove over medium heat using a cast iron grill or heavy skillet until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two.
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening to resemble cornmeal. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
2. Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
3. Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and roll out into round discs.
4. Cook on top of stove over medium heat using a cast iron grill or heavy skillet until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two.
5 comments:
You need a taco press! It makes good flour or corn tortillas and is a lot easier than rolling out all of that dough. Go here-
http://chickensintheroad.com/blog/2010/03/24/making-corn-tortillas/
to see one working- she also has a recipe for corn tortilla!
Thanks for sharing , Karen!
That looks like a lot of work! Did you have any help with them?
I'm sure everyone liked them. We buy them already made and put scrambled eggs in them with cheese, or veggies, etc. Not like the authentic ones, I'm sure, but they're good.
Karen, you should be on the Food Network...
-j
I love doing stuff like this, too, but my friend tells me I'm nuts because I am LOOKING for work in the kitchen while she runs from it! :) I want to try your recipe. Thanks.
Tried these tonight! Everyone loved them. I halved the recipe at first because I didn't know how they'd turn out, but then I ended up adding a bit more salt to a second batch.
I just cooked some in my non-stick skillet and then I did some in a bit of oil. Not sure how they were supposed to be done, but they both turned out good.
We stuffed ours w/chicken sauteed in cumin and chili powder, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce. Some of the boys also sprayed theirs w/cooking spray and then sprinkled w/cinnamon sugar. We all loved them! Thanks for the recipe!!
Post a Comment