For so many years, I had a friend, IRENE, who loved to cook. She grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods of the city. She didn't have an easy life, but several years ago, she became a child of God. A few years later, her husband also became a Christian. She helped her daughter-in-law, Blanca, with the school's snack bar and was always ready to serve. Her mom was diabetic and because of complications had her leg amputated. Irene waited on her mother like a nurse, changing her, bathing her, feeding her and doing as much as she could for her mom, and for everyone.Many years she would plan my Christmas dinner. She'd ask me for the ingredients and prepare amazing meat recipes or side dishes and desserts, just because she loved to cook, loved to serve, and loved us. She always had time for our family and always cooked fabulous lunches...and invited us during a rough day at school.
She didn't have nice platters, a microwave, or a fancy workplace for cooking, but she served out of love and from her heart. She loved to cook. She loved new recipes. She loved to fancy meals. Many times she cooked over hot coals. Many times we ate under the lemon trees because it was too hot in the kitchen. Some times we even had to share plates or glasses so everyone could sit around the table.
My heart is breaking as I reminisce. This year she is not with us. This year she won't plan my Christmas dinner. This year we won't sing Christmas Carols in her mom's bedroom. This year...
We will always be grateful for her love and service. She taught me so much! Every Wednesday I bake double and send a plateful of chipas, cookies, cakes or whatever to her husband, Marcos. He said that I shouldn't bother, but how could I NOT do this after Irene so lovingly served us so many years.
This year, my holiday preparations will be recipes of love, service, and time for others.
3 comments:
This made me cry. I'm glad that there is some small way that you can remember Irene this year by passing along her love to other people. You always do this anyway, but your love for Irene will magnify it this year. God has blessed you with a giving heart, Karen!
I teared up when I read about Irene. I'll always remember her and her Mom, and her Mom's room with no door to close, or window to shut, and how happy she was to enjoy what God had given her. She also had a croched blanket there from A.Janet.
What a wonderful mentor she was to you! What lovely memories you have of her service of love. What a blessing to be able to teach others what she has taught you! (And just think, she gets to spend her holidays with all our loved ones, in heaven! Love you all/.
Post a Comment